Monday 13 February 2017

Grasping the moment

Still engrossed in Patti Smith (M Train) - so good that I only read a chapter at a time as I don't want it to end.

Cafes, coffee create mental space for her  - sometimes she doesn't want to let go of the place she's found.
'When I finished the coffee I couldn't part with the empty container. It occurred to me I could preserve the history of 'Ino, the lost boardwalk, and whatever came to  mind in microscript upon the Styrofoam cup, like an engraver etching the Twenty-third Psalm on the head of a pin."
On the way home from my run spot some branches from a tree on St Peter's Square about to be chewed up by a wood cutting machine. Perhaps something will come of them - blossom? The tree cutter told me they'd come from a plum tree. A brilliantly sunny winter's day without a cloud in the sky.

M Train is increasingly about loss - Smith misses her late husband Fred. En route to Japan she begins to weep.

"Just come back, I was thinking. You've been gone long enough. Just come back. I will stop travelling; I will wash your clothes.  Mercifully I fell asleeep, and when I awoke snow was falling
over Tokyo."

Travel to move away from grief.

Reading and watching

  • Foot by Foot to Santiago de Compostela/Judy Foot
  • The Testament of Mary with Fiona Shaw at the Barbican
  • The Testament of Mary/Colm Toibin
  • Schwanengesang/Schubert - Tony Spence
  • Journals/Robert Falcon Scott
  • Fugitive Pieces/Ann Michaels
  • Unless/Carol Shields
  • Faust/Royal Opera House
  • The Art of Travel/Alain de Botton
  • Mad Men Series 6
  • A Week at The Airport/Alain de Botton
  • The Railway Man/Eric Lomax
  • Bright Lights, Big City/Jay McInerney
  • Stones of Venice/John Ruskin
  • The Sea, the Sea/Iris Murdoch
  • Childe Harold/Lord Byron
  • All The Pretty Horses/Cormac McCarthy
  • Extreme Rambling/Mark Thomas
  • Story of my Life/Jay McInerney
  • Venice Observed/Mary McCarthy